Administrator

Exclamation For God's Sake People, Do an internet search before reaching out to a seller...

A lot of these scammers will use the same phone number, username, photos, and descriptions on multiple boards (including armslist).

Don't take them at face value if they are new. You run the risk of getting burned/scammed badly.

So take a moment to "google" a phone number, email address, username etc. so you can guard yourself from the scammers out there.

Administrator
    If a new seller on the board includes in the ad that shipping is available/possible, it most likely is a scammer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Users who liked this post

AZFisher,h8pvmnt
      likes this

Quote Originally Posted by Noshoot View Post
    If a new seller on the board includes in the ad that shipping is available/possible, it most likely is a scammer!

... or, an exact same ad shows up less than a day later, from another brand new acct., "text me", blah, blah, blah.....

Administrator
    Yeah….

A note to the scammer bitches out there pounding on the door to get in-
    We watch out for and protect our own here.

6. Users who liked this post

AZFisher
      likes this

Another red flag...

When they insist upon Paypal, Zelle, cash (ie; money order/check) or other irretrievable forms of payment.

This is an old scam. Ad shows a desirable item and at a reasonable price. If you send the money - it is gone. You will never see the merchandise since it never existed. Seller (now enriched by your donation) vanishes. You could take solace in the fact that 4 other buyers 'bought' the same firearm you did the same day - and they never received it, either.

Then there's the guy selling a Colt Python (or other pricey firearm) for less than a third of what they're selling for. And you have to come to him because he lives a few hundred miles away. Agrees to meet halfway, even. And he asks for a 'deposit' through non-refundable methods to 'ensure you don't fail to show and he's out gas and time'. He'll just deduct the amount when you two meet. You end up at the meet location - and that's where you realize what's just happened as the 'sale date-rape drug' begins to wear off. The best part of the scam is the potential buyer is all in on getting over on the seller - but that was precisely the sellers angle.

guntraderaz.com is completely full of 'great price' firearms for sale well below current market value. Probably 80%+ of the listings there are scammers. Whoever runs that site isn't running it - because there is no way they are policing anything.

Another favorite is the 'where am I'? scam. Seller has an item - but he's in Flagstaff. You agree to meet halfway. You're in Phoenix - but you tell the seller you're in Tucson. Works on smaller distances, too. Had it done to me at least once. I was in Gold Canyon. Guy said he was in Phoenix. We agreed to meet in central Mesa. We transact, then guy tells me he's 'got to go - pick up his daughter from school.' I asked where her school was. He said 'right up the street'. Whadd'ya think the chances are he lives in Phoenix but his daughter attends school in east Mesa?
    Last edited by Jager; 01-13-2022 at 11:06 AM.

Thank you Noshoot.

And annoying trolls (scammers?) mostly using g-mail are getting worse on firearms forums. Asking "Is this still available?" when the seller clearly states the ad will be deleted when the item is sold, then no further communication.

The "buyer" who commits to buying an item, agreeing to day and place to meet, not showing up and not communicating again.

Or the "seller" who cannot even spell correctly the city where it lives.

At least there are rules and strict moderators here. Again, thanks!

Administrator

Exclamation

To put all this into perspective....

I just reviewed new registrations from when I was asleep last night.

5 of the 6 new registrations overnight were scam accounts.

83%

ETA - When I logged on this morning, 40% of the "members" on the board were banned accounts.
    Note that they can't message other members, but if you put your phone number or email address in an ad you open yourself up to their shenanigans.

Last edited by Noshoot; 01-15-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Put up a want ad on GlockTalk and I've had 7 scam messages so far smh

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsotm View Post
    Put up a want ad on GlockTalk and I've had 7 scam messages so far smh
    Yes, Glocktalk ads are like the Wild West.

Between scammers, lowballers, and garage sale “wanna trade?” types, it’s crazy.